The task of operators for the transportation of mineral fertilizers and agrochemicals is to strictly adhere to regulations, sanitary standards and codes of practice for the safe handling of these materials. Special requirements for the conditions of port transshipment of nitrate (ammonium nitrate) and its delivery by land are dictated by the high chemical activity of the substance. This material is dangerous due to the following qualities:
The task of operators for the transportation of mineral fertilizers and agrochemicals. Requirements for containers for the transportation of nitrate
- Self-igniting on contact with wood / paper and additional heat. Spontaneous self-ignition is observed under normal conditions and a temperature of +350 ° C.
- It burns actively with the release of oxygen, which increases the intensity of the flame.
- Forms explosive and fire-hazardous mixtures upon contact with water and organic compounds (alcohol-containing solvents, sugar, starch).
- Intensively absorbs water and atmospheric moisture. It is allowed to store and transport ammonium nitrate only in sealed and waterproof containers.
- stable at normal temperature and humidity (thermal decomposition and the risk of fire are only observed when heated above 200 ° C);
- does not ignite from friction, sparks and contact with an open flame;
- explosive only under conditions of intensive thermal decomposition of a large volume of substance (a large amount of pure oxygen, nitrous oxide and ammonia vapors are released).
Requirements for containers for the transportation of nitrateThe best way to calibrate batches of ammonium nitrate is to be shipped into big bags and plastic bags. The shipped weight is 1 t and 50 kg, respectively. In soft containers for ammonium nitrate, an inner liner made of polypropylene film is necessarily provided. It completely protects the contents of the big bag from possible ingress of synthetic oils and water.
The convenience of packing material into big bags is that it allows transporting large consignments of mineral fertilizers for use at agricultural enterprises and complexes. At the same time, a cargo consisting of 50 kg bags is usually ordered by wholesale and retail distributors.
The transshipment of nitrate in the form of piece cargo is carried out at the sites of cargo terminals using special equipment. Saltpeter in bags is usually loaded on palletized pallets and can be transported both in holds and closed containers. The cargo placed in big bags is transferred from gondola cars or car trailers on the shore directly to the ship's holds. The cargo is moved by portal cranes.
Regulations and rules for safe transportation
Requirements for the safe transportation of ammonium nitrate on the territory of Ukraine are regulated by the laws "On the carriage of dangerous goods" and "On Ukraine's accession to the European Agreement on the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR)". Transportation of nitrate on public roads is allowed if the carrier observes the "Rules for the carriage of dangerous goods by road" (approved by order of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine dated July 26, 2004 No. 822).
This document standardizes the permissible container capacity. It is allowed to transport tared ammonium nitrate in packages with a net weight of up to 1000 kg (clause 1.8, appendix 1). An individual or legal entity carrying out cargo transportation must have:
- appropriate admission for the vehicle for the carriage of dangerous goods;
- admission of the driver to such transportation, issued in accordance with the requirements of ADR;
- road sheet indicating the type of cargo, brand and characteristics of the vehicle, the name of the person in charge (driver);
- route sheet in addition to the road (in the case of intercity transportation);
- a set of additional fire extinguishing equipment in accordance with clauses 5.2b and 5.6 of the specified "Rules" and PPE for protection against corrosive substances.
Sea transshipment of mineral fertilizers in the port of Chernomorsk from TTG "Forward"The port complex for transshipment of piece and bulk cargoes "Forward" offers the services of experienced specialists to help Ukrainian exporters and importers of fertilizers. On the territory of the complex, access roads are provided for unloading general cargo with ammonium nitrate and delivering them to the loading and unloading area at 1 of 2 berths. We offer:
- effective organization of PPR with full compliance with safety requirements and the use of high-performance equipment;
- services of chartering ships and the conclusion of contracts with shipowners;
- assistance in registration of permits and accompanying documentation, including for dangerous goods.